Committee of 100 Annual Beijing Delegation Trip 2017
Earlier this month, the Committee of 100 hosted its annual delegation trip to Beijing, China. The delegation of twenty C100 members was led by Chairman Frank H. Wu. C100 participated as the sole strategic partner in the World Philanthropy Forum and met with high-ranking government officials including U.S. Ambassador to China Terry Branstad; Chinese State Councilor Yang Jiechi; Minister Qiu Yuanping, Director of the State Council’s Overseas Chinese Affairs Office; Assistant Minister Li Chenggang, Ministry of Commerce; and Li Haifeng, Vice Chairman of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC).
In addition to meetings with high-level officials, C100 met with Zhang Yansheng, member of the Academic Committee of the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), who is credited with establishing the concept of “One Belt, One Road,”; and leading think tanks the China Center for International Economic Exchanges (CCIEE) and the Center for China and Globalization (CCG).
The delegation trip kicked-off with the World Philanthropy Forum, hosted by Tsinghua University and the Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries (CPAFFC). The Former Prime Minister of Australia, Julia Eileen Gillard, and former Prime Minister of Denmark, Helle Thorning-Schmidt, were among the dignitaries in attendance.
C100 Governor Shirley Young delivered a keynote, emphasizing C100’s contributions through culture. C100 members Howard Li, Carter Tseng, Roger Wang, and Walter Wang presented the Chinese American example of the diaspora experience on a panel titled “Philanthropy: The Case of Chinese Americans.”
High-Level Delegation Visits
Leadership Scholarship Program Awards Ceremony
The delegation trip also included the Leadership Scholarship Program (LSP) 2017 awards ceremony and gala dinner. As C100’s signature event in China, the Leadership Scholarship Program was established in 2005 with the goal of recognizing and fostering the leadership potential of young Chinese students, encouraging better understanding and exchange between the U.S. and China.
This year, 32 awardees selected from the top 18 institutions participated in the conference and mentoring program. Two panels were held: a panel discussion on “Innovation and Entrepreneurship” by LSP Alumni, and a panel discussion on “U.S.-China Relations: C100 Public Perceptions Opinion Survey 2017.” C100 member Dali Yang moderated the latter panel that featured fellow member George Koo; William Klein, Minister Counselor for Political Affairs at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing; William Zarit, Chairman of AmCham China; and Dr. Jia Qingguo, Dean of the School of International Studies at Peking University.
The C100 LSP Awards Ceremony took place at the Beijing Marriott Hotel Northeast, thanks to sponsor HNA Group, and featured C100 member and celebrity in multiple media Kelly Cha as the gala MC. Speakers at the gala included Long Yongtu, Chief Negotiator of China’s entry into the World Trade Organization and former Vice Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation; Tan Tianxing, Vice Minister of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office; and U.S. Ambassador to China Terry Branstad. Ambassador Branstad told the story of his personal relationship with President Xi Jinping formed decades ago on an Iowa farm when they both were young men starting political careers, and highlighted C100 for its support of the Fulbright Scholarships in China through the recent launch of the $1 million “C100 U.S.-China Fulbright Fund.” It is C100’s hope to strengthen the next generation of U.S.-China bridge builders through initiatives such as the Leadership Scholarship Program and the Fulbright Fund.
Participating Committee of 100 Members
- Ms. Kelly Cha, Distinguished C100 Member since 2010; Artist
- Dr. David Chang, Distinguished C100 Member since 1996; Professor Emeritus, Polytechnic Institute of New York University
- Mr. Guoqing Chen, C100 Board Member; Vice Chairman & CEO, Pacific American Corporation
- Ms. Wei Sun Christianson, Distinguished C100 Member since 2006; Co-CEO of Asia Pacific & CEO of China, Morgan Stanley
- Mr. Robert W. Gee, C100 Board Member, D.C. Regional Chair; President, Gee Strategies Group LLC
- Dr. George Koo, Distinguished Member since 1997; Consultant & Writer
- Dr. Richard Y. Lee, Distinguished C100 Member since 2011; Chairman, Amsino Medical Group
- Mr. Howard Li, C100 Board Member, Greater China Co-Chair; Chairman & CEO, Waitex International Co.
- Dr. Adeline Yen Mah, Distinguished C100 Member since 1992; Physician & Writer
- Dr. Edmond Pi, Distinguished C100 Member since 1991; Professor Emeritus, Clinical Psychiatry and the Behavioral Sciences, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine
- Mr. Henry S. Tang, C100 Co-founder; Managing Partner, Carnegie Towers Strategic Investment Advisory
- Dr. Carter Tseng, Distinguished C100 Member since 2003; Chairman & CEO, Little Dragon Foundation
- Dr. Dazong Wang, C100 Board Member, Greater China Co-Chair; Chairman, Ophoenix Capital Mangement Inc.
- Mr. Roger Wang, C100 Board Member; Chairman & CEO, Golden Eagle International Group
- Mr. Walter Wang, Distinguished C100 Member since 1999; President & CEO, JM Eagle
- Mr. Frank H. Wu, Committee of 100 Chairman; Former Chancellor & Dean, Distinguished Professor, U.C. Hastings College of Law
- Dr. Dali Yang, Distinguished C100 Member since 2011; Professor of Political Science, The University of Chicago
- Ms. Shirley Young, C100 Co-founder; President, U.S.-China Cultural Institute
- Dr. Ya-Qin Zhang, Distinguished C100 Member since 2008; President, Baidu